Location: Rochester (maybe some travel to other locations)
To design and develop advanced and mordern software for our products and devices and assist or lead in software development for future company projects
What you’ll be doing:
- Design and develop software for fire control system equipment, ensuring the product meets the relevant fire and safety standards
- Work closely with the hardware and software teams during the design and support stages of product development
- Liaise with other software engineers where necessary
- Ensure that designs meet the stated objectives relating to performance, cost and timescale Ensure that work is carried out within the framework of the company’s Production Engineering and Purchasing procedures
- Produce prototypes of designs where appropriate
- Maintain and update designs and design documentation as required
- Ensure that all aspects relevant to the tasks in hand relating to the product operation and usage are understood, thereby ensuring that products operate as required
- Maintain efficient and effective records relating to designs and design modifications, including issue status
- Keep abreast of new developments relating to system design including software tools and techniques
- Act as Project Leader on design projects as required
- Actively observe and support the company’s Quality Policy
- Undertake other duties which may from time to time become necessary.
Who you’ll be working with
- Internal Departments, up to Director level
- External Businesses, including suppliers, consultants and third parties
- Software Engineers
We are looking for individuals who are highly motivated and have a passion to contribute to the success of the Business. In addition to this, you will possess the following:
- Essential: Degree (or equivalent) in an IT or Computer Science related field or a proven track record in system design and development.
- Previous Experience in a software design role
- Using C, C++ and C# in an embedded Linux based system
- Working knowledge and experience with microcontrollers from 8 to 32 bit
- Ability to work within a team structure and provide leadership where required.
- Experience with communications systems.
- Experience with Windows application development.
- Essential: A good knowledge of C, C++ and C# and a working knowledge of Embedded Linux based systems
- Knowledge of ARM Cortex M3/M4 development and a working knowledge of Electronic circuits
- Proficiency using Linux and Windows based systems.
- IDEs, Eclipse, Visual Studio,
- C, C++, C#
- serial communication protocols including RS232/RS485, USB
- Networking protocols (TCP/IP, UDP etc)
- Understanding of Assembler
- Software techniques for power reduction
- Design for low-cost, high-volume manufacture
- An analytic approach to problem solving
- A critical thinker and active listener
- Good time management skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Self-starter with the ability to quickly learn about new processes
- A good team player with ability to work on own initiative
To apply, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org