Department: Research and Development (R&D)
Who You’ll Report To: Electronics/Mechanical Manager
As the Principal Engineer, you'll be responsible for planning, analyzing, designing, testing, and documenting new products, as well as maintaining our existing product portfolio. You'll collaborate closely with the HW/MECH and Software management team.
In this role, you'll have the opportunity to contribute to the development of products that make a tangible, positive impact in the real world. Your responsibilities will span both sustaining engineering, where you'll optimize existing products, and new product development (NPD), where you'll play a pivotal role in guiding a product from inception to completion. For NPD, your duties will encompass product architecture, design expertise, cost-consciousness, and meticulous documentation to ensure the efficient transition of our designs to our manufacturing locations.
The successful candidate will collaborate closely with our diverse and multidisciplinary R&D team while also demonstrating the capability to work independently when necessary.
Detail of Role:
Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- Architectural Leadership: Serve as the Lead Architect / Principal Engineer, responsible for planning, analyzing, designing, testing, and documenting changes while actively contributing to system architecture discussions.
- Process Champion: Champion and utilize internal processes and tools to facilitate product development in collaboration with department management.
- Design Expertise: Apply expertise in both analog and digital design at system, product, and circuit levels.
- Qualification and Reliability: Oversee hardware qualification testing, including EMC, Environmental and Reliability testing.
- Mentorship: Act as a mentor to junior engineers, providing guidance in project planning, execution, and offering technical insights beyond the R&D department.
- Knowledge Sharing: Share your extensive knowledge in electronics and EN54 & UL864 domain with colleagues, ensuring that our products not only meet but exceed these requirements.
- Prototyping: Develop prototypes for designs as needed to facilitate product development.
- Design Maintenance: Maintain and update existing product designs and design documentation as required.
- Sustaining Engineering: Make critical decisions regarding the need for testing samples, PCB changes, or component replacements. Conduct component-level troubleshooting and root cause analysis.
- Impactful Decision-Making: Make decisions that may affect cost, schedule, and technical performance.
- Cost Estimation: Generate engineering estimates for complex hardware designs and assist in tracking and monitoring costs associated with product development.
- Product Roadmap: Play a pivotal role in shaping technical product roadmaps and act as a product specialist.
- Continuous Improvement: Identify and recommend new tools and techniques to drive continuous improvements in the hardware development process.
We are looking for individuals with considerable practical experience in electronic and electronic component/technologies from a life safety background. In addition to this, you will possess the following:
Desirable: Degree in Engineering, preferably with an Electronics focus
Essential: Considerable proven hands-on experience in an electronics hardware design & development role ideally with some experience in the life safety industry.
- New Product Development (NPD): Proven end-to-end experience in the New Product Development cycle (NPD).
- Analytical Thinking: Demonstrates the ability to provide a logical, in-depth analysis of problems or situations.
- Documentation Expertise: Proficient in reviewing and creating clear product design documents that comprehensively describe the design and the product functions.
- Certification: Experience in designing products for CE/UKCA, EN54, UL868, NFP72, and other global certification markets related to the life safety industry.
- Design: Expert in electronic hardware architecture design, schematic capture, PCB layout (including high-speed, EMC, and Signal Integrity best practices) using Altium 365, as well as BOM preparation and EMC compliance.
- Microcontrollers/Embedded Systems: Familiarity with popular microcontrollers and embedded systems, including Microchip, STM32, 8/16/32-bit architectures, and ARM Core.
- Communication Protocols: Knowledge of popular communication technologies such as SPI, I2C, Ethernet, I2S, USB, and UART.
- Mixed-Signal Design: Experience in designing mixed-signal circuits with an emphasis on very low power, low voltage, and low noise characteristics.
- Embedded Control: Proficient in designing embedded digital control circuitry and real-time microcontroller solutions.
- Communication Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to produce detailed and informative reports that are clear and concise.
- Critical Thinking and Active Listening: Proficient in critical thinking and actively listens to understand and solve complex issues.
- Effective Time Management: Demonstrates strong time management skills to prioritize tasks efficiently.
- Commitment to Continuous Learning: Enthusiastic about continuous learning and staying updated with evolving industry practices.
- Attention to Detail: Ensures that all information conveyed to others is accurate and presented clearly.
- Self-Motivated: A self-starter with the ability to quickly adapt to and learn new processes.
- Empathetic Problem Solver: Recognizes the importance of maintaining compassion and empathy when dealing with challenging situations and solving problems.
- Positive Energy and Persistence: Exhibits high energy, persistence, and a positive attitude in all endeavors.
- Team Player and Initiative: Excels both as a team player and in working independently, taking the initiative to drive tasks to completion.